Visa(green card) is also open for the following categories

Permanent residents who have left the United States for long periods of time, or who cannot demonstrate their intention to live in the United States permanently, could lose their permanent resident status. Many immigrants believe they can live abroad as long as they return to the United States at least once a year. This is wrong. If you suspect that you will be outside the United States for more than 12 months, you must apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the country. You must file Form i-131, Application for a Travel Document or Request for a Travel Document. A re-entry permit is valid for a period of two years. You can show it at a port of entry, instead of your visa or permanent resident card. This permit does not guarantee that you will be admitted to the United States upon your return, but will easily demonstrate that you are returning from a temporary stay abroad.

1: The lottery

Certainly the least complicated solution, but also the most uncertain! Each year, the United States issues nearly 55,000 green cards through a raffle. This lottery is free and open to all citizens around the world. However, each year there may be a restriction for certain countries which, in the previous draw, saw a significant number of their nationals obtain the Green Card. This is done with the aim of better preserving cultural diversity.

To take part in this lottery, simply go to the official website and fill out the registration form. Be careful, you should be wary of unofficial sites that offer to take charge of the registration for the draw for remuneration. These steps can be scams, especially if financial compensation is sought in return.

There is no limit for participation in this lottery. However, there are two conditions to be fulfilled: the fact of being born in a country which appears on the list of nationalities which can participate in the lottery and to have an educational level equivalent to a diploma of end of secondary studies at least or to have at least two years of professional experience during the last five years. 

Registration for this lottery is open between October and November of each year, and the results of the draw are published from May. It should be noted that candidates who have won this lottery will not be informed. It will be up to the participants to check for themselves on the site whether they are among the lucky winners or not. It should be noted that the fact of winning the lottery does not immediately give the right to a green card , because the application must then be approved by American immigration and pay a $ 330 application fee as well as costs related to the translation of documents or the medical examination requested by the government.

2: The extraordinary talent

In the United States anything is possible, and the American Dream can be within your reach if you can show that you are extraordinary!

If you have exceptional talent in the field of art, education, business, sport or even science , you can apply for an EB-1 visa to obtain a card. permanent resident in the United States. This exceptional character is determined by the national and international recognition of the talent of the applicant. The procedures are the same as for applying for a green card through employment, with the only difference that these people do not need a Labor Certification.

3: Other cases

In general, the EB-1 visa is also open to high-level professors and researchers who have teaching or research experience of at least three years and a job offer within an institute of research or university. The managers of multinational companies which have had their subsidiary established on American soil for more than a year can also apply for an immigrant visa in order to obtain a green card. The procedure takes at most a year. It should be noted that to be able to claim the green card, the candidate must be an employee of the foreign company for at least one year during the last three years of his transfer to the USA. There must also be a parentage link between the American company and the foreign company.

 How to keep the Green Card?

That’s it, you have finally obtained the precious Green Card! Be careful though, it is as easy to lose and difficult to obtain! Indeed, it is possible to lose your green card and permanent resident status in the United States. One of the main reasons for this loss is the non-declaration of your tax during a stay abroad or the fact of declaring yourself as a non-resident on your tax form. A prolonged stay abroad can also result in the loss of the Green Card since the immigration officer can interpret it as an abandonment of the green card.

If you have to stay abroad for more than six months and you do not wish to lose your permanent resident status, you will have to prove that you have not renounced it. To do this, always take care to complete your tax sheet as a US resident and keep an address in the United States. Also, be sure to keep your US driver’s license as well as a US bank account and credit card.

If you must be away for more than a year, take care to apply for a re-entry permit or re-entry permit before leaving American soil. It is a kind of booklet similar to a passport and valid for two years from the date of issue. This gives you the assurance of being able to return to the United States without difficulty and keep your permanent resident title.

The Green Card offers its holder the opportunity to stay freely in the United States. There are different ways to get it, but you also need to know how to keep it once it is issued. If you wish to obtain useful and practical information for your future stay on American soil, discover the advice of ACS . Also remember to take out expatriation insurance compliant with Obama care , to live your American experience in all serenity.